Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Churros






Churros
These are not like Mexican “street” churros, and are more like soft “doughnut sticks”, but they are yummy and fast and easy to make for a quick sugar/flour craving!
Churros in Mexico are sometimes filled with cajeta (caramel) or strawberry jelly, but these are perfect with just the sugar/cinnamon sprinkle. Best if enjoyed warm.

1 c. water
2 tbs. Brown sugar (regular sugar works)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 c. butter
1 c. flour
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Separately mix:
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon (or more!)

-Heat oil for frying (on a steady 7)
-mix eggs and vanilla. Set aside.
-Heat water, brown sugar, salt and butter until it boils.
-Remove from heat and add flour. Stir well.
-Add egg/vanilla mixture to dough. Stir well. (this is a workout!)
-Place the “batter” in a piping bag with a star tip. I just used a ziplock bag and cut off the corner. (its got to be a sturdy bag, or it will “explode” when you try to squeeze it)
-Pipe the batter into the hot oil in 4” pieces, and fry until golden brown.
-Sprinkle the HOT churros with the Sugar/cinnamon powder GENEROUSLY!
-enjoy with a cup of hot chocolate.

6 comments:

Abril said...

Yummy!!
I was going to write tha t you keep amazing me with all the things that you cook, but I shouldn't be amazed, after all, you are my sister ;-)

helen said...

I have to try this someday... Lovely blog you have here... :)))

Elly D said...

I just love churros!! This is my treat when I go to visit my mum in southern Spain. Going out for breakfast for churros and coffee... yummy... equally good with thick hot chocolate... Thank you for the recipe to try at home. Elly

z said...

Oh my goodness those look so good! I can't wait to try it! I love your recipes!

kianabates.blogspot.com

Kim said...

I just made these and they are amazing! Great recipe.

Natalie said...

Oh my boys are just going to love love love these! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.